Sunday, September 03, 2006

Easy Fix for iPod Screen Scratches

I first read about this on THE TENSION blog, and thought I'd give it a try...and it works pretty darn well.

The idea is that you use an off-the-shelf CD/DVD scratch repair kit (the one I used was a Memorex CD Scratch Repair Kit that I bought at Office Depot for $10), and basically just follow the directions (other than you use it on your iPod instead of a CD, of course!). (I noticed that the Memorex web site now mentions that the CD scratch kit is also effective on PDAs, etc.)

The entire three-step process (clean, polish, finish) took about 15 minutes, and while it didn't restore my iPod to its original "out of the box" condition, it did remove about 95% of the scratches. I suppose I could repeat the process again, I'm pretty satisfied with the results as-is. It's important to note that my iPod is nearly always in its case--it was actually the process of inserting and removing the iPod from the case that created the scratches, which were all abrasion-type "blurring" of the display (vs. actual deep scratches in the plastic).

I would whole heartedly recommend this process to anyone that wants to improve their iPod display. For the record, I have a 30GB iPod Video.